Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My Lessons on Writing a Personal Statement For University Admissions

As a secondary school teacher for year 12 and 13 students, I would usually make an extra effort in teaching and helping these students to learn because those are the year levels when they prepare for either entering the labour market and looking for jobs, or they would prepare in submitting their applications for universities or colleges if they want to pursue higher education. I always tell my students that the last two years of secondary education would be the initial process of preparing them in applying for admissions to the higher education institution of their choice. I would tell my students that writing a personal statement or statement of purpose that is well written is a major factor considered by the admission committee of a university or college in approving the application of a prospective student.


So for the past four years, I have been regularly conducting some lessons for writing a personal statementthat is correct and proper for the year 13 students that I teach as a way of helping them in the various procedures they would undergo in submitting their applications for admissions to higher education institutions. In my lesson on personal statement writing, I would discuss on the proper and relevant information that should be included in the statement such as the reasons for choosing a particular course and the school where it is offered, and if there are any personal experiences that influenced the individual in choosing the course.


To make my lessons on writing a personal statement more interesting and engaging for my students, I have conducted some of my lessons in personal statement writing with the use of the Powerpoint presentations that are available in the school's computers. I have learned that when I converted my lesson on how to write a personal statement into a Powerpoint presentation program that made extensive use of images, graphics, animation and other visuals, the students would listen more carefully to my lesson and they are more interested on my discussions. Furthermore, my lessons on personal statement writing is no longer boring and my students are more engaged and involved in asking questions or any clarifications about my lesson.


1 comments:

Unknown said...

It was a great personal statement and you have explained everything very clearly and that is really impressive. Also, the important thing for writing a personal statement for teaching or any other purpose you need to make sure that you are doing it with full honesty and mention what you actually believe as well as about your strength and influence that encourage you in every step.

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2010 Academic Writing Basics. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by